[Monthly Archives] [List Home]

Re: [Virtools] Virtual Museum

Hi Baki,
1. Portals does not have anything to do with file loading, it is a rendering optimization.
To do something like that you'd have to use the behavioral server.

2. Was a little hard to read....
But for texture size
_Use the smallest size that is a power of 2.
Otherwise dev resizes it (upwards !) to the nearest power of 2.
_Use texture compression
in the texure setup you can choose the 'desired video format'
Set it to Compressed DXT1, or other DXT variants if the result looks too ugly.
Texture compression compresses the texture in the ram of your video card.
_Set file compression on in general preferences under miscellaneous controls
_In the same dialog, set 'textures/sprites save options' to 'Use specific format' and JPG at 100% (or less if you need even smaller files)
_If you use color key transparency in textures, you need to set the 'Save options' for that texture from 'Global Settings' to another file format that isn't lossy.
(meaning that every pixel keeps its exact color after being saved and loaded again).

CU, Patrick

21-Mar-02 09:18:56, "Peter Bakos" <peterbakos@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hi everybody!
>
>I want to ask your help, because i get a work to make a virtual museum. And
>i'm really amateur. This museum will work via Virtools Web Player.
>
>My questions:
>
>1. If i use portals, than the Web Player download the whole file, or just
>the data of one portal? Is there any solution with the user don't have to
>download the whole file?
>
>2. This is important, that the museum's appearance be perfect, but i have to
>make that so, that the user know play perfectly with a gf2 32Mb VGA card (i
>think of the speed). How can i test, that my composition is already
>optimized? Or any other solution?
>- how big texture shell i use?
>

>Thank you for your support!
>
>Baki
-------- End of forwarded message --------

Distributed via the virtools-user-group list: http://www.theswapmeet.com/numl.html
To reply to the list instead of its author, use "Reply to All"
To unsubscribe: send "unsubscribe virtools-user-group" to Majordomo@lists.theswapmeet.com