Re: XSLT stylesheet highlighter / whitespace with output method tex t

Subject: Re: XSLT stylesheet highlighter / whitespace with output method tex t
From: rolf@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 18:11:44 +0100 (MET)

"Jon Smirl" <jonsmirl@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote
> Try this from Internet Explorer:
> res://msxml.dll/DEFAULTSS.XSL

> It's the stylesheet MS IE uses to display XML

I tried to get some highlighted XSLT code pieces for online (HTML)
documentation. Is this possible with your suggestion?

Independent of the usefullness of my stylesheet, I had expected, that
every XSLT processor produces nearly the same output. But this is far
from truth with <xsl:output method="html"/>

You don't need my stylesheet to realize this. Pick some XML data and a
XSLT stylesheet and produce - with, for example, xt and saxon - two
HTML files by using this input. Take a look at the outputed HTML source
code and you will probably see some significant differences between
the two results. Viewed with a HTML Browser, this differences are
mostly not visible, due to the nature of HTML. But even with HTML,
whitespace _makes_ a difference in some cases.

The intresting thing about it is that with <xsl:output method="text"/>
xt and saxon produce nearly the same output. Why isn't this true for
HTML output?

rolf
rolf@xxxxxxxxxxxx