Re: xt:node-set usage (was Re: Future XSLT expansion.)

Subject: Re: xt:node-set usage (was Re: Future XSLT expansion.)
From: "Jon Smirl" <jonsmirl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 12:18:51 -0500
> I'm puzzled. Why are you using that, which I think of as cute
> but over-sophisticated, rather than just
>
>   <xsl:apply-templates select="xt:node-set($foo)"/>

xt:node-set is an extension function provided by XT. It is not part of the
XSLT spec. Other XSLT engines don't support it.

My stylesheets are designed to run in XSLT compliant browsers (IE5 is
getting there, I just need the document() function) or on the server if the
browser isn't capable. If the server detects that the browser is capable of
doing the transform then the work is off-loaded to the browser. Because of
this I can only use core XSLT functions that are required to be in all XSLT
implementations.

I'm targeted at an intranet where I can get XSLT loaded onto the user
machines, this is going to make a big difference in the load generated at
the server. It takes a lot of CPU power to do hundreds of page transforms a
second at the server.

Maybe we'll even get lucky and this time next year half the browsers in the
world will be XSLT capable.

Jon Smirl
jonsmirl@xxxxxxxxxxxx