Re: XLS files scrambling (Slightly Off-topic, Obfuscation etc)

Subject: Re: XLS files scrambling (Slightly Off-topic, Obfuscation etc)
From: "Mitch C. Amiano" <amiamc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 09:30:08 -0400
There is an instability in Netscape 4.x whenever you document.write()
any of the following tags via DHTML:
<script>
<layer>

If you follow such coding practices with NS 4.x it will eventually crash.
Ok, it will eventually crash anyway, but writing SCRIPT/STYLE/LAYER tags
will increase the likelyhood that it will happen sooner rather than later.

However, I've found that there is a workaround for (re)loading "<script>"s
at run time: load an HTML file instead. If you have a ".js" file, put it
into a ".html" file, wrap it with the proper HTML/HEAD/SCRIPT tags, and
then change the "location" attribute on a fixed LAYER or FRAME to get
the document to load.

It doesn't sound like it would work very well with the code obfuscation
scenario. But it is the only way I know to get NS to be stable when
writing dynamic pages... avoid creating implicit document objects
through document.write().

and that's all the noise I'm gonna add to this newsgroup.

--
Mitch.C.Amiano@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx