[xsl] White space - preserving white space within element data using MSXML3

Subject: [xsl] White space - preserving white space within element data using MSXML3
From: Brand_Niemann@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 12:58:32 -0500

There has been quite a bit of discussion already on preserving white space from
an xml document to a xsl processed document.

I interested in preserving white space and not line spacing as in the following:

<example>     Here is some text with white space     </example>

An obvious recommendation is to use &#160;

<example>&#160;&#160;Here is some text with white space&#160;&#160;</example>

A recommendation has also been to use <xsl:preseve-space elements = "*"/>.

With MSXML3, I don't seem to get the results I am expecting.  I don't get any
results at all.  I'm expecting that the white space will be preserved in the
rendered document.  Instead the white-space is removed (default behavior).  I
have a Microsoft sample CD that was distributed at XML 2000 that documents
<xsl:preserve-space> and <xsl:strip-space> with a limited a example.  Has anyone
successfully used <xsl:preserve-space> with MSXML3?

I've also seen a sample where preserve space is used as an attribute, I can't
remember the exact syntax. Something like:
<example space="preserve">.  I'm not sure if this is a possibility with MSXML3.

Any recommendations?  Do I need to stick with &#160 to preserve white space?

Thanks

Brand Niemann