Re: [xsl] methods of converting an xml string to xml nodes

Subject: Re: [xsl] methods of converting an xml string to xml nodes
From: Joseph Kesselman <keshlam@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 10:24:36 -0500
>I'm using xalan processor. And what I need is to convert
>an xml string to xml nodes so it can be read from stylesheet.

Write an extension function which invokes an XML parser to convert the
string to DOM nodes, return the top-level node or a DOM NodeList to Xalan,
and it'll be treated as an XSLT nodeset.

If your string can't be interpreted as a well-formed document, you'll have
to find a parser which can handle document fragments.

See http://xml.apache.org/xalan-j/extensions.html for more information
about how to write and invoke Xalan extension functions.

Alternatively: Write an Entity Resolver which recognizes a specific URI as
a request to read from your string buffer, plug it into the Xalan/Xerces
system, then use the XSLT document() function to request that URI. This is
a bit more obscure but may be more efficient since you don't need to take
the intermediate step of generating the DOM nodes.