[xsl] Navigation using XPath

Subject: [xsl] Navigation using XPath
From: "Chitra Lalita Madhwacharyula" <iscp1059@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 16:46:45 +0800
Hello,

Is there anyway to navigate through the XML document using stylesheet by
which I can do the following without explicitly specifying the node
position like position() = 1 or position() = 2 etc. As far as I know
only 'last()' is available which extracts the last value of the
specified element.

1> Go to the first element (e.g like position() = first()..)

2> Go to the next element after the current element (e.g position() =
next().. )

3> 2> Go to the previous element after the current element (e.g
position() = previous().. )

4> Go to the next sibling element from the current position.

I know that following-sibling axis is available but it returns all the
following siblings and not just the next one which is not useful if I
want to move through the nodes one by one (either forward or backward)
and perform some operations. Similar is the problem with
preceding-sibling or following or preceding and other similar axis

So is there any way to do this ?

Thanx in advance,
Chitra