Re: [xsl] xslt 2.0 and alternatives?

Subject: Re: [xsl] xslt 2.0 and alternatives?
From: "M. David Peterson" <m.david@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2004 08:03:48 -0700
Bruce,

If I can add to this conversation a bit...

As far as C and C++ is concerned, no, there are no complete solutions that give you what XSLT 2.0 gives you beyond what Michael has suggested via a Web Service interface. However, if I can put in a quick plug for the Saxon.NET project (which is currently in beta for Saxon 8.0-B and I am about to release an 8.1-B release to the SF.net site and Saxon.NET project site) and suggest to you that if it is C-styled syntax you are interested in -- or if in particular your are interested in using XSLT 2.0 on a Microsoft platform -- then maybe Saxon.NET will give you the capability you are looking for.

But let me first preface this with the following... The goal of the Saxon.NET project is to provide to the .NET community an API that is 100% compliant with that of Dr. Michael Kay's latest Saxon API and that can be used to implement a XSLT 2.0, XPath 2.0, and XQuery 1.0 transformation via any language and subsequent compiler that implements a solution supported by version 1.1+ of the .NET framework. If the solution you are using (via C++.NET or C#) falls into this category, then great! If not, then this is not the solution for your project. But don't fret! If not now, there will be XSLT 2.0 solutions, via your desired mechanism, in the months, not years, to come.

With all of this said, Dr. Kay's suggested solution is by far and beyond the best solution for dealing with projects that have a need for cross-platform transformation of XML data via a XSLT 2.0 processor. Saxon.NET is currently built upon the Basic version of the specification set forth in the latest working draft from the W3C and as such does not provide the expanded Schema-Aware capabilities that come from the Saxon-SA product from Dr. Kay and Saxonica.

However, I should mention that the Saxon.NET project is currently in discussion with Saxonica about porting Saxon-SA to the .NET platform once the Saxon-B port is complete and proven. But the focus on the Saxon-B port being complete and proven, if not already obvious, should be brought to the forefront of emphasis. At the present time the Saxon.NET-B port is in beta form and is not complete nor is it proven and as such should not be a considered as a complete XSLT 2.0. XPath 2.0, and XQuery 1.0 solution for the .NET platform. But this is something that we are aggressively working on obtaining and we look forward to the time that we can label the release as "complete and proven" and ready to be used within production level code on the .NET platform. As such we also look forward to the time that Dr. Kay and Saxonica announce that Saxon-SA is not only available for the Java platform but for the .NET platform as well.

Best regards and best of luck to you as you decide on which solution will work best for you and your project.

<M:D/>