[xsl] Using variables or parameters in tests

Subject: [xsl] Using variables or parameters in tests
From: Daniel O'Donnell <daniel.odonnell@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 16:17:31 -0700
I have a problem involving the reuse of xpath tests. Unless I've used
the wrong search terms, the following doesn't seem to have been
discussed in the archives.

The context is a financial xslt file that outputs itemised monthly
reports from an unitemised year-to-date xml file.  For each item in the
output file, I need to do two tests: one for date and the other for some
other feature (usually party [i.e. payer/payee]). This would be an
example with no parameters or variables:

<xsl:variable name="actualelectricity">
<xsl:value-of select="sum(/statement/item[date >= 20050228 and party[contains('DEML')]]/amount)"/>
</xsl:variable>

What I want to do is turn the two expressions in the test into independent variables so that I could do something like this:

<xsl:variable name="actualelectricity"> <xsl:value-of select="sum(/statement/item[$datetest and $electricitytest]/amount)"/>
</xsl:variable>

Where

datetest = (date >= 20050228)

and

electricitytest = (party[contains('DEML')])

The reason for doing this is that it allows me to reuse the category tests (i.e. the party[contains()]-type tests) independently of the date tests: for year-to-date summaries, and for a miscellaneous class that consists of anything that is not identified by an explicit category test.

Is there a way of doing this? Nothing I've tried seems to work.

-dan
--
Daniel Paul O'Donnell, PhD
Associate Professor of English