Re: [xsl] Complicated grouping and column question

Subject: Re: [xsl] Complicated grouping and column question
From: Will McCutchen <mccutchen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 18:00:32 -0500
> Not directly relevant, but
>
>                     <xsl:apply-templates
> select="/schedule/division[substring(@name,1,1) = $current-letter]">
>
> would be better written
>
> <xsl:apply-templates select="current-group()"/>

David Carlisle pointed that out, and I made the change.

> I suspect your problem is an HTML problem not an XSLT one: as far as I can
> tell you are trying to work out what HTML you want to generate, not what
> XSLT you need to write to generate it. So this may not be the best list to
> help you.

No, my problem had nothing to do with HTML.  My problem was trying to
figure out how to split a fairly complicated piece of output into two
columns.  The problem would have been the same if I were outputting to
plain text.  David Carlisle also provided the solution to that, which
was to generate the whole, sorted list into a variable, and then
select into that variable to break it in half.  That might not be very
clear, though, since I feel like I just butchered it in the
explanation.

Maybe I just did a poor job explaining myself from the get-go, though.
 Thanks for your help (and for Saxon, without which I would be up a
creek sans paddle)!

Will.