Re: XS: needed features?

Subject: Re: XS: needed features?
From: James Clark <jjc@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 20:34:57 +0700
At 13:57 23/05/97 +0100, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> > I don't think score is much more general that necessary. Netscape supports
> > score-through, so we would want to keep that.  I would want to keep over
> > scoring for the Japanese.
> >
>maybe i am being confused by all these font-related characteristics of
>score. what does
> (make score:
>    font-family: "Times-Roman")
>_mean_ exactly....

It means you're using the font metrics of Times-Roman to determine where to
place the underscore.  I believe both TrueType and AFM files have a metric
for the recommended position for an underscore.

There's an alternative, simpler approach to underscoring, which is to have
an inherited underscore?: characteristic on characters.  This is rather less
flexible (what if you want something underlined twice in two different
colors), and may produce undesirable effects if the underscored text isn't
all in the same font, at the same point-size (think about the case where you
are underscoring some text with a superscript).

James