Re: XS: needed features?

Subject: Re: XS: needed features?
From: Sebastian Rahtz <s.rahtz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 15:06:24 +0100 (BST)
 > It means you're using the font metrics of Times-Roman to determine where to
 > place the underscore.  I believe both TrueType and AFM files have a metric
 > for the recommended position for an underscore.
eh? what if i want to underscore

 hello <font name=Helvetica>here</font> and there?

are you suggesting i switch position of underscore half way? i would
have assumed the formatter would work this out - unless i wanted to
underline Times text with Helvetica underscore position, which would
be  a marginally weird thing to do....

 > There's an alternative, simpler approach to underscoring, which is to have
 > an inherited underscore?: characteristic on characters.  This is rather less

gurk. please, no. that way madness lies. people can use special
underscored fonts if they want effects like that

sebastian