Re: XS: needed features?

Subject: Re: XS: needed features?
From: "Lassi A. Tuura" <Lassi.Tuura@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 18:48:24 +0200
Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> quite. what would make more difference to CERN, the ability to mark
> changed text, or the ability to display math properly?

Currently LaTeX is still by far the most common tool used to produce
math-intensive documentation here.  When converting those documents for
the web, most people use latex2html, which just converts the equations
(and weird symbols in general) to images.  Hence, I'd say the ability to
mark changed text is more important.  However, *if* there was a
possiblity to display maths as real content, things might be different.
I am not sufficiently informed to say how big an impact that would have.

I still think that requiring maths in XML would help the scientific
world a lot (and not just physics and maths -- others use complicated
symbols too).  Real proposals to create mark-up for math have been
available for quite a while now, and even implemented in the Arena
browser.  Nevertheless, Netscape and MS haven't done anything to
incorporate them into their browsers, at least as far as I know.  It
just doesn't seem to be very high on their priority list :-(  I guess
that it just doesn't make large enough percentage out of the overall
user population.

Cheers,
//lat
--