Re: About Constructions rules

Subject: Re: About Constructions rules
From: Matthias Clasen <clasen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 22:02:45 +0200

> Then, would the query construction rule as specified by the specs would be
> useful to be implemented. Comments?

I think so, and after all this talk about query, I'm just now studying the
source to find the right hooks for implementing query.

> The first suggestion is that it could be useful to pattern match on some
> non-elements nodes like 1) processing instructions, 2) properties, 3) data
> (no so sure of this one). the element and PI construction rules are
> restricted to solely element pattern match. Thus, the query construction
> rule opens the door to other documents objects being processed.

Yes, but only to the extent they're actually present in the grove. The
jade grove plan is fixed to a restricted subset, but it contains more than
just element nodes. And even for element nodes, query allows you to
select element nodes based on any criterion you can turn into a
node-list-filter, making many of the -2 extensions to element patterns
redundant. Actually, I claim that you can implement all other rules
in terms of query.

--
Matthias Clasen,
Tel. 0761/203-5606