Re: DSSSL engine in LISP?

Subject: Re: DSSSL engine in LISP?
From: Adam Di Carlo <adam@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 16 Jul 1999 16:43:27 -0400
"Frank A. Christoph" <christo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I don't know of any SGML parsers written in Scheme (or LISP), but I recently
> was informed that Craig Brozefsky is writing an "SGML toolkit" called
> Grover, using Bigloo, which handles SGML documents using the grove
> representation.

Yes -- I am kinda sorta working with Craig on this baby, although my
time is limited.  Anyhow, what we're doing first is 'grover' which
takes a grove plan and an ESIS stream (i.e., from nsgmls) and makes a
grove.

Atop that you could implement DSSSL or, I think, XSL, or basically
just interact with the grove as a programmer.  Our intention is not so
much to write a competing DSSSL processor (although that would be a
good thing) so much as to have a bottom-up programming tool which is
good for people who really wish to work with groves.  Ideally, you
could attach databases as well and make grove representations of them
also.  Our feeling is that the problem of the next 10 years will be
the problem of data "addressability", and that groves provide the most
viable solution to this issue which we are currently aware of.

> But I imagine it uses SP to parse documents.

Yes, well, it takes ESIS streams, so yes, that's SP right now AFAIK.

--
.....Adam Di Carlo....adam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<URL:http://www.onShore.com/>