Re: (commercial) applications using DSSSL

Subject: Re: (commercial) applications using DSSSL
From: Ron Ross <ronross@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 14:43:17 -0400 (EDT)
Hi All,
On Fri, 16 Jul 1999, Pieter Rijken stated:
> Hi Didier,
>
>> Hi Peiter
>>
>> We are developing such tool that is integrated in the future release
>> of the Document Explorer. By GUI, do you mean some kind of form that
>> present you a list of elements, then if you select an element you can
>> set the type of flow object associated to it and all the
>> characteristics associated to this object. When completed, the DSSSL
>> code is generated.
>>

> Yes, this is what I had in mind. Actually, _any_ GUI tool that hides
> the DSSSL code would be fine.

I had also thought about this recently. I think the GUI, at least in its
first try, shouldn't bother about actually writing the stylesheet. The
GUI will mostly serve to help uninitiated users throughout an
organization to access the processing tools already put in place. This
GUI's basic function would simply be to construct the command line for
(Open)Jade and documents... though this could include features that
would be just as convenient for users of any level of expertise;

This GUI would (not in definitive order):

   1. Provide input fields (text boxes, browse buttons, drop-down menus,
      etc.) for the processing script, the document instance(s), ouput
      format, output name and directory, variable and other options.

   2. Read the supplied stylesheet for any defined variables, then list
      them in a drop-down list (or something:-) whith an adjacent field
      where the user could enter values or simply click an on-off switch
      (#t, #f). Of immeasurable use here would be some way of generating
      appropriate documentation for each of the variables, (is there
      anything remotely analogous to the "self-documenting" features of
      Elisp? Otherwise, the program could tie-in with a method of
      documentation such as Norman used in the DocBook stylesheet), as
      well as document the other options.

   3. Report some possible errors: inappropriate parameters, wrong
      stylesheet for the type of output, etc.; and forsee some of the
      errors Jade is going to encounter in processing the script and the
      document instance. Again such error messages could be accompanied
      with documentation or references to specs, manuals, Help files,
      etc.

   4. Eventually, provide (in an "Advanced" section?) means for editing,
      querying, and debugging the stylesheet directly.

>> PS: I'll be back monday, so I'll be able to answer you then.
>> For couple
>> days, I am on my bike for a 400 kilometers ride and no place
>> for a portable
>> :-)
>
> A couple of years ago I saw this program on a man travelling on his
> bike through the US. He had a computer on his bike powered by the
> 'dynamo' (I do not know the English word :-( ). He also had a
> satellite connection..... A nice christmas present? ;-)

Talk about a nice GUI... or is AUI (Active User interface)?

Ah, oui!

regards,

Ron