Named node lists

Subject: Named node lists
From: Brandon Ibach <bibach@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 14:08:21 -0500
   Doing a little quick research in formulating my response to Jany's
last message, I realized that the support for named node lists in
DSSSL seems rather poor compared to the rich set of operations defined
for regular node lists.  Basically, the only operations available are
a predicate to determine if an object is a named node list, an
operation to extract a node by name from the list, one to get a
regular list containing the names of the nodes (in the same order as
the named node list), and one to do name normalization.
   Wouldn't it be nice to have an equivalent of (node-list-reduce)?  I
think James' (copy-attributes) function could be considerably simpler
if this were available (because the "attributes" property of an
element node is a named node list).  Heck, even having the simple
(named-node-list-first) and (named-node-list-rest) operations would be
great, as most other node-list functions could be built on top of
these.  Perhaps we could work these in as "DSSSL2" additions?

-Brandon :)