Re: PDFJadeTeX Memory problems [& other stuff!]

Subject: Re: PDFJadeTeX Memory problems [& other stuff!]
From: Thomas Andre Berger <thomasbe@xxxxxx>
Date: 19 Nov 1999 13:01:12 +0100
"Frank A. Christoph" <christo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> (Someone is going to tell me these values are massive overkill, I can feel
> it.) So far it is working fine on my (extremely simple) example.

I got these values recommended by the original creator of jadetex:

main_memory.hugelatex = 1100000
hash_extra.hugelatex = 15000
pool_size.hugelatex = 5000000
string_vacancies.hugelatex = 45000
max_strings.hugelatex = 55000
pool_free.hugelatex = 47500
nest_size.hugelatex = 500
param_size.hugelatex = 1500
save_size.hugelatex = 5000
stack_size.hugelatex = 15000

I added these into my texmf.cnf file.

> BTW, to the JadeTeX maintainers: I had a devil of a time figuring
> out how to install this, and I am not even a TeX newbie.

I couldn't agree more.  It was a lot of work before I figured out how
to do it.  Maybe we should write a step-by-step guide on how to
install it.  But I don't know all the different TeX-distribution and
the differences between them.  Maybe using teTeX as an example would
do?

> The other problem I had was that there was no "hugelatex" included
> in my teTeX distribution, but I managed to create jadetex.fmt with
> the usual latex; I hope that doesn't cause problems for me in the
> future.

After adding the hugelatex values in the config file, and making the
pdfjadetex and jadetex using these values ( making the fmt file with
"&hugelatex" ), I got format files that worked OK.

> But the results were worth waiting for; it looks beautiful!

Almost, there are still some troublespots left.  Tables are not fully
supported, and very long "literal" elements (<filename>) do not get a
line break in the running text, making them flow way out of the right
margin.

But there are no active maintainers of jadetex anymore.  At least not
that I'm aware of.  If I'm wrong, please say so!

--
 Thomas A. Berger