RE: [jadetex] French typography with the Modular Stylesheets? (The DSSSList Digest V3 #223)

Subject: RE: [jadetex] French typography with the Modular Stylesheets? (The DSSSList Digest V3 #223)
From: "Frank A. Christoph" <christo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 1999 10:02:40 +0900
> [Mark Wroth] Some time ago, someone on this list commented (in
> response to a
> question I asked) that they had built a version of Jade (or possibly some
> DSSSL extensions) which allowed Jade to easily emit arbitrary TeX
> code (e.g.
>

> 	(make-environment 'document
> 	  (process-children))
>
> would produce
>
> 	\begin{document}
> 	% contents of the children
> 	\end{document}
>
> I never had a chance to follow up on this, but it would be an approach to
> using the Babel functionality (and yes, I'd actually like to see this
> functionality in the main development line).

I did the same thing yesterday, though it's much more of a hack. I added a
characteristic escape-data?:. When it is false, it just transmits strings
unescaped. So I can write:

  <!DOCTYPE ...
  <!ELEMENT tex (#PCDATA)>
  ]>
  <tex>$[U\to U]\cong U$</tex>

  (element tex (make sequence escape-data?: #f))

Some people would call this evil, of course...

--FAC