[Monthly Archives] [List Home]

[ernie] The Interbiznet ERNIE_00.10.11

IBN: Defining Excellence in Electronic Recruiting
Please Click On Our Sponsors
  interbiznet this week   (through October 11, 2000)

interbiznet.com

Electronic Recruiting News

Our Rate Card

S P O N S O R S

Click On Our Sponsors
Click On Our Sponsors
Click On Our Sponsors
Click On Our Sponsors
Click On Our Sponsors
Visit Our Sponsors

Reach The 25,000 Recruiters and HR Managers Who Read This Newsletter Each Week

Receive email when this page changes

Click Here

Find out more
About IBN

Got a news tip?
Tell us at
news@
interbiznet.com

Our Rate Card

Presentations
    - Basic (PDF)
    - Strategy (PDF)

Recruiting Trends

Archives

Recruiting Eyeballs

Key
Industry
Suppliers
Resume
Databases

(Over 60)

Company Job Listings
(Over 4000)

Salary Surveys

NATSS
Enterprise
Fidelity
HR Live
HR Online
SHRM
Workforce Mag
DejaNews

Email to IBN

Suggestions?

It is better
to not be on
the web than
to be on and
not know why

John Sumser

Reality
is more
complex
than
it seems.
John Gall

It's better to
do a few things
really well than
than to do
a lot of things
badly.
If you can't
make the necessary
commitments of
time and energy
to your
electronic
marketing
efforts
scale back
your plan.
John Sumser

All material on this
website is the
property of IBN
(The Internet
Business Network:
interbiznet.com)
You may download
a copy for personal
use. Redistribution
without permission
is strictly
prohibited.
All material on
this site is
© 1995 - 2000 by IBN

Go Home
OUR HOME

Daily News. Archived Weekly. Click Here For The Current Issue.

The Electronic Recruiting News is a Free Daily Newsletter For Recruiters, HR Managers, Advertising Agencies and Clasified Advertising Operations

Click the 'OK' to make the ERN your default homepage

If you wish to receive the Electronic Recruiting News as a daily email, please use the form at the bottom of the page to subscribe or unsubscribe.
Thank you - Interbiznet Staff

Single Belly Button

(October 11, 2000) Don't get us wrong. Companies need lots of sources of candidates. The opportunity to advertise in the tiniest of niches really expands the capability of a company to find good workers. Assessment driven bio-data will certainly produce access to potential hires in unforeseen ways. Communities of job hunters are a good thing. The revolution in forms of Recruiting is producing hundreds of interesting and effective approaches.

But, consider the lot of the poor decision maker in HR.

The new choices are overwhelming. The competitive language does little to discriminate one offering from another. Global reach has turned out to be a nightmare for any manager trying to effectively spend her budget.

In clinical terms, it's market psychosis. (Psychosis is often defined as an overabundance of choice where neurosis is defined as a lack of choice.) We've taken a group of professionals who, at one time, had a limited array of possibilities and thrust unimaginable levels of chaos at them.

Although we enjoy those deli menus with hundreds of sandwiches listed on them, we always end up ordering club sandwiches. It's our modest reaction to an overabundance of choice. The anxiety at the desk level of a recruiting manager is palpable. "What if one of these sources can produce the candidates I want? What if I'm missing it? I can't afford the time (let alone the money) to assess all of my options."

The reason that the Do It Yourself (DIY) movement, championed by AIRS and other consultants (including our own Seminar In A Box) has gained such traction is directly related to the abundance of choice. It's well understood that the time consuming methods involved in detailed market research (the basis of the DIY approach) is singularly less effective than the online database alternatives. While the DIY techniques are fantastic introductions to the web, Recruiters are always more effective when they are Recruiting. Monkeying around in the gory details of a university website is extremely expensive when you consider that the research effort comes at the direct expense of real recruiting.

Even though DIY Recruiting is more expensive and less effective, the results do not show as a drain on spendable budgets. They show as reduced effectiveness for the department. Surfing the web allows Recruiters to substitute busy-ness for results. But, given the choice between planning and doing, most people prefer doing. Sifting through the myriad choices produces anxiety. Surfing the web reduces it. The fact that DIY Recruiting is so popular can be directly tied to the level of anxiety produced by the other alternatives.

Most decision makers try to reduce anxiety in their decision making even though it is well understood that the information age requires us to endure more of it. It's an old school adaptation to a new school problem. In the industrial era, gaining an increased sense of control was a sound reason to make a decision. In the information age, amping anxiety up to the highest tolerable level is the right path. It's just very hard to feel good about doing it.

That's why so few vendors have been willing to step up to the plate as a "single belly button". The vendors feel the same anxiety as the working level recruiters. The role of "one stop shop" is terrifying because the marketplace is so dynamic. Even the best of the multiple site posting companies won't take responsibility for producing results.

The market needs a company to emerge that will take responsibility for helping customers decide the most effective way to spend a budget. When we call it a "single belly button", here's what we mean:

A customer should be able to call a single account representative and say, "we're looking for the following types of employees; what should our budget be and how should we spend it? Given that we don't have that much money, how should we spend our available budget and what types of results should we expect?"

The "single belly button" company would guarantee performance to the extent that the budget was adequate.

- John Sumser

Contacting Us:
Call, fax, write, email. We'd love to talk about your project.

All material on this site is © 1995 - 2000 by IBN: interbiznet.com
(The Internet Business Network), 346 Starling Rd., Mill Valley, CA 94941
415.380.8244
staff@interbiznet.com

To Subscribe or Unsubscribe From the ERNIE...
Enter email:
Enter name:
1st Steps In The Job Hunt
    - Think Globally, Find a Job Locally