[Monthly Archives] [List Home]

[ernie] The Interbiznet ERNIE_00.10.30

IBN: Defining Excellence in Electronic Recruiting
Please Visit Our Sponsors
  interbiznet this week   (through October 30, 2000)

interbiznet.com

Electronic Recruiting News

Our Rate Card

S P O N S O R S

Click On Our Sponsors
Click On Our Sponsors
Click On Our Sponsors
Click On Our Sponsors
Click On Our Sponsors
Visit Our Sponsors

Reach The 25,000 Recruiters and HR Managers Who Read This Newsletter Each Week

Receive email when this page changes

Click Here

Find out more
About IBN

Got a news tip?
Tell us at
news@
interbiznet.com

Our Rate Card

Presentations
    - Basic (PDF)
    - Strategy (PDF)

Recruiting Trends

Archives

Recruiting Eyeballs

Key
Industry
Suppliers
Resume
Databases

(Over 60)

Company Job Listings
(Over 4000)

Salary Surveys

NATSS
Enterprise
Fidelity
HR Live
HR Online
SHRM
Workforce Mag
DejaNews

Email to IBN

Suggestions?

It is better
to not be on
the web than
to be on and
not know why

John Sumser

Reality
is more
complex
than
it seems.
John Gall

It's better to
do a few things
really well than
than to do
a lot of things
badly.
If you can't
make the necessary
commitments of
time and energy
to your
electronic
marketing
efforts
scale back
your plan.
John Sumser

All material on this
website is the
property of IBN
(The Internet
Business Network:
interbiznet.com)
You may download
a copy for personal
use. Redistribution
without permission
is strictly
prohibited.
All material on
this site is
© 1995 - 2000 by IBN

Go Home
OUR HOME

Daily News. Archived Weekly. Click Here For The Current Issue.

The Electronic Recruiting News is a Free Daily Newsletter For Recruiters, HR Managers, Advertising Agencies and Clasified Advertising Operations

Click the 'OK' to make the ERN your default homepage

If you wish to receive the Electronic Recruiting News as a daily email, please use the form at the bottom of the page to subscribe or unsubscribe.
Thank you - Interbiznet Staff

WOFM

(October 30, 2000) Almost any working manager can mouth the words "failure is a part of learning". It's trite to reiterate the fact that "failure is an essential component of success". How many times have you heard someone say "Generals often fight the last war"? We all know the Thomas Edison story ("They're not failures, they're eliminated possibilities").

Still, failure (both as a word and as a reality) seems hard to pin down in our industry, our organizations and the customers we serve. It's too bad, really. All that failure and so little learned.

Before the domain name was purchased by Virtual Job Fair (now owned by Brass Ring), JobCenter was an interesting participant in our industry in the 1994 - 1995 time frame. The concept was unbelievable at the time: build a network of sites using a central database with revenue sharing as the core business model. The venture failed because it was ahead of its time, had no sales force and flunked the accounting test. Mostly, it was ahead of its time.

In those days (as it remains today), the underlying theory of candidate aggregation business development is that it is somehow a technical business. We can't begin to tell you how many of the small entrepreneurial operations in our space waste millions on the reinvention of the technology that Job Center used five years ago.

Why?

Because, for some strange reason, exclusively owned technology is the largest driver in company valuation. A staffing firm, whether or not it has lots of candidates, is worth $1 for each $1 of revenue. In spite of the market crash, dot com companies (usually without candidates) are worth huge multiples (20 to 50 times sales). The market, in other words, seems to be telling companies to invest in technology because the investors will benefit handsomely.

It's a WOFM (Waste Of F'ing Money)

There is little in the way of meaningful technology being developed in our industry. Seriously, how clever can you make a search engine as it matches badly written job descriptions with inflated self assessments? From our vantage point, we see no one who is able to really step up to the challenge of solving the industry problem: the guaranteed on-time delivery of labor supply.

How long will we have to endure the inflated claim that Company X provides 'solutions' when all they really provide are barely working specialty tools? The next time you hear a vendor calling itself a 'solutions provider', ask them if they'll guarantee the delivery of the right bodies when you need them. When they say "No", ask them "whose problem are you solving?".

To be fair, customers don't often appear to want solutions. Much of the industry's emphasis on efficiency and cost reduction is a dodge for the fact that customers don't want to pay the real freight. Vendors rightly perceive most customers as cheapskates.

It creates a fascinating environment in which no one learns from failure, money gets wasted on redundant technology and doublespeak rules the day.

- John Sumser

Contacting Us:
Call, fax, write, email. We'd love to talk about your project.

All material on this site is © 1995 - 2000 by IBN: interbiznet.com
(The Internet Business Network), 346 Starling Rd., Mill Valley, CA 94941
415.380.8244
staff@interbiznet.com

To Subscribe or Unsubscribe From the ERNIE...
Enter email:
Enter name:
1st Steps In The Job Hunt
    - Gubmint Jobs