[Monthly Archives] [List Home]

[ernie] The Interbiznet ERNIE_00.11.28

IBN: Defining Excellence in Electronic Recruiting
Please Visit Our Sponsors
  interbiznet this week   (through Nov. 21, 2000)

interbiznet.com

E R N I E
Electronic Recruiting News In Email

Our Rate Card

S P O N S O R S

Click On Our Sponsors

Click On Our Sponsors
Click On Our Sponsors

Click On Our Sponsors
Click On Our Sponsors
Visit Our Sponsors
Reach The 25,000 Recruiters and HR Managers Who Read This Newsletter Each Week
Select Opportunities
Click On Our Sponsors

Find out more
About IBN
Got a news tip?
Tell us at
news@
interbiznet.com

Our Rate Card

Presentations
    - Basic (PDF)
    - Strategy (PDF)

Recruiting Trends

Archives

Recruiting Eyeballs

Key
Industry
Suppliers
Resume
Databases

(Over 60)

Company Job Listings
(Over 4000)

Salary Surveys

NATSS
Enterprise
Fidelity
HR Live
HR Online
SHRM
Workforce Mag
DejaNews

Email to IBN

Suggestions?

It is better
to not be on
the web than
to be on and
not know why

John Sumser

Reality
is more
complex
than
it seems.
John Gall

It's better to
do a few things
really well than
than to do
a lot of things
badly.
If you can't
make the necessary
commitments of
time and energy
to your
electronic
marketing
efforts
scale back
your plan.
John Sumser

All material in this
email is the
property of IBN
(The Internet
Business Network:
interbiznet.com)
You may download
a copy for personal
use. Redistribution
without permission
is strictly
prohibited.
All material in
this email is
© 1995 - 2000 by IBN

Go Home
OUR HOME

The Electronic Recruiting News is a Free Daily Newsletter For Recruiters, HR Managers, Advertising Agencies and Clasified Advertising Operations

To subscribe or unsubscribe from ERNIE, please use the form at the bottom of this page.

Given vs Received

(November 28, 2000) The essence of marketing is learning to see the problem through the eyes of another. Long the foundation of market success (we're reminded of HotJob's ads on the top of buses), the technique is rarely mastered in corporate recruiting. The proposition, known by every salesperson who made a living, is that the customer never buys what you are selling. They buy what they buy.

When we say it's a buyers market, this is the arena we're describing. Employment Branding does not work unless it is understood as a selling proposition. The question is not "describe all of your job openings in ways that make them rise to the top of the search engines". Rather, the goal is to build an attractive force that draws candidates to your company.

Then, things get complicated because not everyone wants the same thing from an employer.

In yesterday's article, we described the constituent members of the Employment Branding. To approximate, we'd bet that you need about 500 audience members to fill one opening five years from now. In a simple example, 100 openings over 5 years might require as many as 50,000 audience members from the 7 basic sources:

  • customers
  • competitors
  • suppliers
  • investors
  • ex-employees
  • current employees
  • normal sources (advertising, college recruiting, headhunters, temps)
      Each sub-group has obviously different interests. What appeals to a competitor's employee is unlikely to be interesting to a customer. The trick is in understanding the various (and different) perceptions of each group. Employment Branding messages have to reach out, connect and attract each person they target.

      The disciplines of Demographic targeting, message revision and precision delivery are not normally found in recruiting operations. The skill sets exist in some marketing departments. The reason that a Chief Talent Officer can be such an effective role is that, properly chartered, she can integrate the skills from around the company.

      We're betting on the rapid emergence of firms that manage these processes.

      - John Sumser

      Industry Analysis

      Contacting Us:
      Call, fax, write, email. We'd love to talk about your project.

      All material on this site is © 1995 - 2000 by IBN: interbiznet.com
      (The Internet Business Network), 346 Starling Rd., Mill Valley, CA 94941
      415.380.8244
      staff@interbiznet.com

      To Subscribe or Unsubscribe From the ERNIE...

      Enter email:
      Enter name:
    • 1st Steps In The Job Hunt
          - Bigger IS Better III