[Monthly Archives] [List Home]

[ernie] Electronic Recruiting News In Email_00.12.05

IBN: Defining Excellence in Electronic Recruiting
Please Click On Our Sponsors
  John Sumser's
  Electronic Recruiting News

interbiznet.com

E R N I E
Electronic Recruiting News In Email

Our Rate Card

S P O N S O R S

Click On Our Sponsors

Click On Our Sponsors
Click On Our Sponsors

Click On Our Sponsors
Click On Our Sponsors
Visit Our Sponsors
Reach The 25,000 Recruiters and HR Managers Who Read This Newsletter Each Week
Select Opportunities
Click On Our Sponsors

Find out more
About IBN
Got a news tip?

Got a news tip?
Tell us at
news@
interbiznet.com

Our Rate Card

Articles

Presentations

Trends Reports

Archives

Resume
Databases

(Over 60)

Company Job Listings
(Over 4000)

Email to IBN

Suggestions?

It is better
to not be on
the web than
to be on and
not know why

John Sumser

Reality
is more
complex
than
it seems.
John Gall

It's better to
do a few things
really well than
than to do
a lot of things
badly.
If you can't
make the necessary
commitments of
time and energy
to your
electronic
marketing
efforts
scale back
your plan.
John Sumser

All material in this
email is the
property of IBN
(The Internet
Business Network:
interbiznet.com)
You may download
a copy for personal
use. Redistribution
without permission
is strictly
prohibited.
All material in
this email is
© 1995 - 2000 by IBN

Go Home
OUR HOME

The Electronic Recruiting News is a Free Daily Newsletter For Recruiters, HR Managers, Advertising Agencies and Clasified Advertising Operations

To subscribe or unsubscribe from ERNIE, please use the form on the linked page.

Passive Candidates

(December 05, 2000) We had the interesting pleasure of stumbling across a Monster.com infomercial while flipping between the presidential talking heads the other day. Taking a cue from Ronco, Jenny Craig and a Christmas Sing along special, the program featured Jeffrey Taylor (Monster's CEO) doing an impression of the Clark Kent side of Anthony Robbins. Laced with testimonials and closeups, the audience told stories of finding employment (and meaning) on Monster.com.

We're always a little rough on Jeffrey and his company. Part of it is the terrain that comes with being number one. Part of it is the fundamental disagreement we have with their strategy.

On the road to trying to be come the "number one source for talent online", Monster and its parent are recreating the diversity of the web under a single brand name. Now the third (nearly second) largest owner of staffing agencies, we argue that there are embedded conflict of interest problems and too much overhead associated the method. We think that the buckshot approach to brand segmentation is a show of muscle and a recipe for ultimate failure.

It makes picking on them an easy fall back position that occasionally clouds our judgment.

We were tempted to dwell on the syrupy "Mom and Apple Pie" approach and ask if they were going to launch a "Veg-O-Monster" product line.

In a fit of near objectivity, however, we noticed something important. There are tons of people who are peddling the "Internet Secrets of Finding Passive Candidates", the ability to "Find Candidates Before the Competition", and the "Jealously Guarded Secrets Of Online Recruiting". We tend to think of these approaches as "things Recruiters can do to avoid making a phone call". The bogus search for so called passive candidates is a distractor from the real task at hand.

We've railed against the very idea that there are such things as passive candidates. We even registered the domain name "JobMarley.com" as a part of a plan to guarantee the delivery of the most passive candidates available. As an old friend used to say, "Either you is or either you ain't".

Monster, on the ohter hand, has gone into the business of trying to create fresh inventory. The show featured many images of people who were other than the best and brightest (you know, the normal kind who work hard and are loyal) discovering that their market value exceeded their wildest expectations. It explained how easy it is to use the features of Monster's Resume system. Kidding aside, it was an insightful look at the question of motivating and educating new users. We're going to have to applaud this particular venture. Monster is working hard to develop new ways to expand their database. It's a model worth following.

To enlarge the market, Monster has to unlock a riddle: how do you motivate currently content people to seek a change in employment? Given its clout and the size of its war chest, Monster is shouldering the burden of education and new candidate development for much of the industry. It's a part of the price of being number one. Many of the folks who applaud our needling of the company benefit in nearly direct ways from the largesse Monster is required to show to grow the market. Not a small amount of job hunter traffic is built on Monster refugees who are looking for alternatives. Some of the silly, doomed for failure, business plans that we see assume that candidates just wander around the web waiting to see a banner ad. What they're really doing is sponging off the work that Monster has to accomplish to retain its position.

So, we'll give them a little time out from under our harsh light.

- John Sumser

Industry Analysis

Contacting Us:
Call, fax, write, email. We'd love to talk about your project.

All material on this site is © 1995 - 2000 by IBN: interbiznet.com
(The Internet Business Network), 346 Starling Rd., Mill Valley, CA 94941
415.380.8244
staff@interbiznet.com

To Subscribe or Unsubscribe From the ERNIE...
Enter email:
Enter name:

     FEATURES:

  • Interbiznet Trends (New)