[Monthly Archives] [List Home]

[ernie] The Electronic Recruiting News In Email_010112

IBN: Defining Excellence in Electronic Recruiting
Industry Analysis
  John Sumser's
  Electronic Recruiting News

interbiznet.com

E R N I E
Electronic Recruiting News In Email

Our Rate Card

S P O N S O R S

Click On Our Sponsors

Click Here!
Click On Our Sponsors
Click On Our Sponsors

Click On Our Sponsors
Reach The 25,000 Recruiters and HR Managers Who Read This Newsletter Each Week

Find out more
About IBN
Got a news tip?

Got a news tip?
Tell us at
news@
interbiznet.com

Our Rate Card

Articles

Presentations

Trends Reports

Archives

Resume
Databases

(Over 60)

Company Job Listings
(Over 4000)

Email to IBN

Suggestions?

It is better
to not be on
the web than
to be on and
not know why

John Sumser

Reality
is more
complex
than
it seems.
John Gall

It's better to
do a few things
really well than
than to do
a lot of things
badly.
If you can't
make the necessary
commitments of
time and energy
to your
electronic
marketing
efforts
scale back
your plan.
John Sumser

All material in this
email is the
property of IBN
(The Internet
Business Network:
interbiznet.com)
You may download
a copy for personal
use. Redistribution
without permission
is strictly
prohibited.
All material in
this email is
© 1995 - 2000 by IBN

Go Home
OUR HOME

The Electronic Recruiting News is a Free Daily Newsletter For Recruiters, HR Managers, Advertising Agencies and Clasified Advertising Operations

To subscribe or unsubscribe from ERNIE, please use the form on the linked page.

Regionality

(January 12, 2001) Like politics, Recruiting is a local sport. Given the web's ability to compress distance and time, the concept of "local" (or Regionality when we're talking to MBAs) is undergoing change. It isn't (as national brand marketers hope) going away. The concept of Regionality and what it means is simply in a state of flux. The web, which forces decentralization and hierarchical flattening, prefers local management to towering management structures.

We like to use the local Yahoo feature that maps places on the web based on their geographic distance from our front door. It's every bit as regional as job boards that claim regional capacity by zip code sort. Yahoo's definition of local is "25 miles or less from the center of the zip code" or "one gallon of gas from home". It's a good reference point and we always start there.

But,

If you don't know about the Depot, our famous inhabitants, the Aikido Dojo, the mountain play, the Zen Spa downtown, the Mill Valley Herald, Kiddo, Mount Tam, the closest nude beach, the Zen Center, the Sweetwater, the Dipsea Race, the Dipsea Restaurant (where Lucas Breakfasts), Mama's Royal Cafe, or the Marin Headlands then you haven't got a clue about Mill Valley. The Yahoo approach simply can't grasp the nuances and they are hardly subtle.

And, the trouble with not having a clue is that it shows.

What the web does to regions is that it allows bonds to be tightened while physical geography becomes somewhat less important. While we're great fans of Craigslist, for example, the idea that it can be easily translated into New York seems sophomoric to us. Maybe the village or Westchester County but New York as a whole is better suited to regionalization by HotJobs than a loose band of techno-hippies from San Francisco. That's not to say that it won't be profitably done, just that it will always be vulnerable to something more local (and already working like MBAFreeAgents). As much as we like them real tall buildings, they are better handled by the odd folks who live with them.

This is where local newspapers (like ours) really show their strengths. It's not centralization that matters, it's an emphasis on the realities of the local market.

From our perspective, a region is best understood as an intersection of geography and interest (or profession) that encompasses about 25,000 people (max, 10,000 is better). As companies begin to master the art of building pools of candidates, they will discover that focused demographics are the key to defining these regions. In the harsh light of reality, they are as you define them. The trick is understanding just how much money can be leveraged by understanding the region you operate in or wish to extract people from.

- John Sumser

Click Here!

Contacting Us:
Call, fax, write, email. We'd love to talk about your project.

All material on this site is © 1995 - 2000 by IBN: interbiznet.com
(The Internet Business Network), 346 Starling Rd., Mill Valley, CA 94941
415.380.8244
staff@interbiznet.com

To Subscribe or Unsubscribe From the ERNIE...
Enter email:
Enter name:

     FEATURES:

  • Interbiznet Trends (New)