[Monthly Archives] [List Home]

[ernie] The Electronic Recruiting News In Email_010130

IBN: Defining Excellence in Electronic Recruiting
  John Sumser's
  Electronic Recruiting News

interbiznet.com

E R N I E
Electronic Recruiting News In Email

Our Rate Card

S P O N S O R S

Click Here!
Click On Our Sponsors
Click On Our Sponsors

Reach The 25,000 Recruiters and HR Managers Who Read This Newsletter Each Week
Click On Our Sponsors

Click Here!

Find out more
About IBN
Got a news tip?

Got a news tip?
Tell us at
news@
interbiznet.com

Our Rate Card

Articles

Presentations

Trends Reports

Archives

Resume
Databases

(Over 60)

Company Job Listings
(Over 4000)

Email to IBN

Suggestions?

It is better
to not be on
the web than
to be on and
not know why

John Sumser

Reality
is more
complex
than
it seems.
John Gall

It's better to
do a few things
really well than
than to do
a lot of things
badly.
If you can't
make the necessary
commitments of
time and energy
to your
electronic
marketing
efforts
scale back
your plan.
John Sumser

All material in this
email is the
property of IBN
(The Internet
Business Network:
interbiznet.com)
You may download
a copy for personal
use. Redistribution
without permission
is strictly
prohibited.
All material in
this email is
© 1995 - 2000 by IBN

Go Home
OUR HOME

The Electronic Recruiting News is a Free Daily Newsletter For Recruiters, HR Managers, Advertising Agencies and Clasified Advertising Operations

To subscribe or unsubscribe from ERNIE, please use the form on the linked page.

Jobhead II

(January 29, 2001) We were sure that we were done with the "Job-head" thing after one article. Monster's "knowing wink" at on-the-job drug usage was a large judgment error for a new little company. Snorting a job, an act of addictive compulsion, was simply too far over the edge. One note pointing it out should have been enough.

But, we've gotten a number of notes from several of the company's Executive Vice Presidents:

Please, your reaction is a bit much. The ad
was a humorous take that people
DO get a great high when they finally land
their dream job. You missed the
point. Remember the card said software
engineer not mail room clerk.

I know you love to take shots at the big dog
but an ad is an ad. They
aren't meant to change the social fabric.
They just get your attention for
a couple seconds and if you are lucky someone
vaguely remembers your brand
when the time is right.

And, from another VP:

Your comments concern me and have prompted me to
immediately stop receiving your daily comments via the
ERN. I simply no longer see the value in your daily column.

We are trying to have fun in an extremely competitive
business. Monster.com continues to be the the
market leader and destination of choice for job seekers.
Apparently our clients and 12 million members have the
ability to appreciate comedy, you do not.

The humor in Monster's superbowl ad was only apparent to people who are in on the joke (and share a certain perspective). Sleight of hand delivery of an illicit substance to a worker on the job, while funny to a range of people, we're sure, is at the heart of the most difficult managerial problem of our times. Drug and alcohol consumption on the job (not in moderation but compulsively, as the ad portrayed) is the source of a huge volume of lost productivity and potential.

An ad is much more than an ad. It is a statement of the company's core values and the face it wants to present to a certain part of its audience. You can probably understand how easy this mistake was to make.

Online job hunting, as you probably know, happens between 11AM on the East coast through about 2PM on the west coast. This is the time when most job hunters hit the web. Traffic is very high during these hours, accounting for over 60% of the traffic to the major sites. In other words, people look for new jobs while they are on the job, using their employer's web connection. This is why features like "panic buttons", that immediately click over to Yahoo or another innocuous site are so popular on the smaller job boards. Looking for work online is often done by a job hunter who is constantly paranoid that the boss will be walking by.

Knowing that this is a part of the audience, we're sure that the ad development groups focused on that part of Job Hunting. The behavior is very similar to other difficult problems as is the target audience.

While we certainly don't believe that anyone at Monster is actively championing "at work drug consumption", we do think they should give themselves some careful scrutiny. The difference between overt sanction - encouragement and a "knowing wink" is not always very large. Unfortunately, there are many issues in HR that can be triggered into play with a "knowing wink". None of them are funny enough to use as the gag line for a branding play in our space.

We doubt that this single episode will be enough to teach Monster the things it needs to do as it matures. A few customers will stop using the service because they don't see the humor. For the most part, it simply underlines the lack of sensitivity the company has for its market.

Leadership, in this case a function of timing and budget, is maintained by having respect, at an observable level, for the important components of your audience. This is a mistake that, once made, places the company under a new kind of scrutiny. It's the second time that will cost them their position.

- John Sumser

Workforce has the Recruiting and Staffing information you need.

Search through thousands of archived articles, participate in the forum, print out sample letters and policies and more. All for free.

Come to Workforce today!

Workforce -- HR Trends and Tools for Business Results.

Contacting Us:
Call, fax, write, email. We'd love to talk about your project.

All material on this site is © 1995 - 2000 by IBN: interbiznet.com
(The Internet Business Network), 346 Starling Rd., Mill Valley, CA 94941
415.380.8244
staff@interbiznet.com

To Subscribe or Unsubscribe From the ERNIE...
Enter email:
Enter name:

     FEATURES:

  • Interbiznet Trends (New)