[Monthly Archives] [List Home]

[ernie] The Electronic Recruiting News In Email_010206

IBN: Defining Excellence in Electronic Recruiting
Please Click On Our Sponsors
  John Sumser's
  Electronic Recruiting News

interbiznet.com

E R N I E
Electronic Recruiting News In Email

Our Rate Card

S P O N S O R S

Click Here!
Click On Our Sponsors
Click On Our Sponsors

Reach The 25,000 Recruiters and HR Managers Who Read This Newsletter Each Week
Click On Our Sponsors

Click Here!

Find out more
About IBN
Got a news tip?

Got a news tip?
Tell us at
news@
interbiznet.com

Our Rate Card

Articles

Presentations

Trends Reports

Archives

Resume
Databases

(Over 60)

Company Job Listings
(Over 4000)

Email to IBN

Suggestions?

It is better
to not be on
the web than
to be on and
not know why

John Sumser

Reality
is more
complex
than
it seems.
John Gall

It's better to
do a few things
really well than
than to do
a lot of things
badly.
If you can't
make the necessary
commitments of
time and energy
to your
electronic
marketing
efforts
scale back
your plan.
John Sumser

All material in this
email is the
property of IBN
(The Internet
Business Network:
interbiznet.com)
You may download
a copy for personal
use. Redistribution
without permission
is strictly
prohibited.
All material in
this email is
© 1995 - 2000 by IBN

Go Home
OUR HOME

The Electronic Recruiting News is a Free Daily Newsletter For Recruiters, HR Managers, Advertising Agencies and Clasified Advertising Operations

To subscribe or unsubscribe from ERNIE, please use the form on the linked page.

Supply Management

(February 06, 2001) You'd love our greenhouse. The standalone conference facility is a multimedia-rich glass walled tool for strategy and planning. We've discovered that very large (wall sized) displays make exciting levels of agreement possible. The nice thing about the greenhouse is that it doubles as our executive dining room. We see clients, vendors and other members of our network in the greenhouse over a range of times during the workday and social hours.

Last week, we had the privilege of hosting the executive management team from Hire.com for a dinner and review. (We've covered the company frequently and still consider Hank Stringer to be one of the all-time heroes of the industry.) If you've followed us over the past year, you might remember that, while we thought the Job-Board-In A-Box business was well targeted, it suffered from an inherent flaw in traffic development. Believing that all Recruiting Is Local, we've wondered aloud about the viability of a pure technical infrastructure play.

It's rewarding to feel like you've been heard.

Hire.com is one of those companies that is so focused on creating customer solutions that its marketing materials lag well behind its actual performance. This is a good thing (and clearly the result of CEO Jim Hammock's decades of experience in building new markets). Rather than producing vaporware, the company tends to the needs of its customers and uses that experience to build new product and service lines. The reward is a promising 400% growth rate over the past year.

So, what are they doing?

A look at their offerings doesn't begin to tell the story. in order to understand whether or not your corporate website is achieving the results you need, you have to begin by measuring the traffic. Anyone with even marginal experience will tell you that this is a black art, practiced by knowing wizards and populated with "monkey numbers". But, understanding the native traffic to a website is the foundation of building a focused supply of talent to your offering.

With Telemetered, TalentCast, TalentPath, TalentProfiles™ and TalentSource, Hire.com provides the beginnings of a fully featured supply network. The Virtual Talent Network utilizes the results of AIRs style research to further populate the candidate pool.

In the old days (about five years ago), Recruiting was a reactive sport. Once a Requisition was issued, a pool of candidates was gathered and then, a hiring process initiated. The web's first innovation was to allow candidate pool development to precede the requisition. No small, feat, this change in the process allows huge slugs of cycle time to be removed from the overall Recruiting process.

Hire.com is onto the next level. By integrating candidate sourcing with a communications system, they've laid the foundation for a real Potential Employee Relationship Management System. (PERM), the first, we think, of its kind. In this next level approach, traffic can be developed to satisfy planned Recruiting Requirements over long periods of time. It takes a system like this to achieve the goal of "minus 30 recruiting".

Finally, Hire.com is moving around the country to establish Talent Villages. With the first project operational in Houston, the company is learning how to participate in what we'd call Regional Economic Development. In the old days (again, five years ago), this was the province of county planners. The protracted labor shortage creates a real incentive for regional competitors to collaborate in a single talent pool. Without clever branding, Hire.com is leading the way with these initiatives..

We'd say that Hire.com is the first company in the industry to offer the foundations of a real Labor Supply Management business. Obviously, there's lots of room for improvement. Recruiters need to learn the social skills required to operate these systems; advertising copy writing skills are notoriously scarce, full deployment requires a broader level of offering and more predictability; and, scale will produce a number of unanticipated problems. With those things in mind, however, our hats are off.

Hire.com is publicly demonstrating an approach to Recruiting that fits the needs of a 21st Century Market. For our money, they are in the catbird's seat and defining the ground rules. Anyone who wants a long term future in the industry ought to track their movements extremely closely. They are defining the game.

- John Sumser

Workforce has the Recruiting and Staffing information you need.

Search through thousands of archived articles, participate in the forum, print out sample letters and policies and more. All for free.

Come to Workforce today!

Workforce -- HR Trends and Tools for Business Results.

Contacting Us:
Call, fax, write, email. We'd love to talk about your project.

All material on this site is © 1995 - 2000 by IBN: interbiznet.com
(The Internet Business Network), 346 Starling Rd., Mill Valley, CA 94941
415.380.8244
staff@interbiznet.com

To Subscribe or Unsubscribe From the ERNIE...
Enter email:
Enter name:

     FEATURES:

  • Interbiznet Trends (New)