[Monthly Archives] [List Home]

[ernie] The Electronic Recruiting News In Email_010208

IBN: Defining Excellence in Electronic Recruiting
Please Click On Our Sponsors
  John Sumser's
  Electronic Recruiting News

interbiznet.com

E R N I E
Electronic Recruiting News In Email

Our Rate Card

S P O N S O R S

Click Here!
Click On Our Sponsors
Click On Our Sponsors

Reach The 25,000 Recruiters and HR Managers Who Read This Newsletter Each Week
Click On Our Sponsors

Click Here!

Find out more
About IBN
Got a news tip?

Got a news tip?
Tell us at
news@
interbiznet.com

Our Rate Card

Articles

Presentations

Trends Reports

Archives

Resume
Databases

(Over 60)

Company Job Listings
(Over 4000)

Email to IBN

Suggestions?

It is better
to not be on
the web than
to be on and
not know why

John Sumser

Reality
is more
complex
than
it seems.
John Gall

It's better to
do a few things
really well than
than to do
a lot of things
badly.
If you can't
make the necessary
commitments of
time and energy
to your
electronic
marketing
efforts
scale back
your plan.
John Sumser

All material in this
email is the
property of IBN
(The Internet
Business Network:
interbiznet.com)
You may download
a copy for personal
use. Redistribution
without permission
is strictly
prohibited.
All material in
this email is
© 1995 - 2000 by IBN

Go Home
OUR HOME

The Electronic Recruiting News is a Free Daily Newsletter For Recruiters, HR Managers, Advertising Agencies and Clasified Advertising Operations

To subscribe or unsubscribe from ERNIE, please use the form on the linked page.

Differentiation

(February 08, 2001) At the heart of the idea of having a brand is a single concept: differentiation. It's a simple notion. The reason that you have a brand is so that your audience can tell how you are different from the competition. In the traditional advertising world, this is a well understood concept involving
  • the identification of the target audience,
  • an analysis of the competition,
  • the positioning of brand attributes, and
  • the development of branding campaigns.
The most important thing about a brand is that it allows your target audience to tell the difference between you and a competitor. The targeting exercise is the only way to manage advertising costs (by knowing who you don't want to reach). A branding campaign built on this sort of fundamental analysis is much more likely to result in predictable and desirable results.

Unfortunately for all of us, very few players in the Recruitment Advertising universe offer meaningful brand differentiation support. Certainly, none of the job boards give their clients even the most primitive support in this regard (E-Bay style annotation of the database, for instance).

Brand Differentiation, the intellectual discipline required to define it and the budgets required to execute on it are a long way from the mainstream of recruiting. Our vendors don't support it because so few of their customers know how to ask for it (let alone contemplate the costs of paying for it).

We've tried very hard to think of a discipline that is a corollary to 20th Century Recruiting. Words like reactive and proactive shield us from the reality that Recruiting (and HR in general) are the Beverly Hillbillies of the corporate world. Years of easy candidate availability results in an incredibly low regard for the costs and processes associated with real marketing. While we found oil by "shooting at some food", the rest of our peers in the organization had to make investments in "geological surveys and drilling experiments". In other words, our industry's notional understanding of the way that marketing and advertising works is distorted by the fact that it used to be like fishing with dynamite.

- John Sumser

Workforce has the Recruiting and Staffing information you need.

Search through thousands of archived articles, participate in the forum, print out sample letters and policies and more. All for free.

Come to Workforce today!

Workforce -- HR Trends and Tools for Business Results.

Contacting Us:
Call, fax, write, email. We'd love to talk about your project.

All material on this site is © 1995 - 2000 by IBN: interbiznet.com
(The Internet Business Network), 346 Starling Rd., Mill Valley, CA 94941
415.380.8244
staff@interbiznet.com

To Subscribe or Unsubscribe From the ERNIE...
Enter email:
Enter name:

     FEATURES:

  • Interbiznet Trends (New)