[Monthly Archives] [List Home]

[ernie] The Electronic Recruiting News In Email_010213

IBN: Defining Excellence in Electronic Recruiting
Please Click On Our Sponsors
  John Sumser's
  Electronic Recruiting News

interbiznet.com

E R N I E
Electronic Recruiting News In Email

Our Rate Card

S P O N S O R S

Click Here!
Click On Our Sponsors
Click On Our Sponsors

Reach The 25,000 Recruiters and HR Managers Who Read This Newsletter Each Week
Click On Our Sponsors

Click Here!

Find out more
About IBN
Got a news tip?

Got a news tip?
Tell us at
news@
interbiznet.com

Our Rate Card

Articles

Presentations

Trends Reports

Archives

Resume
Databases

(Over 60)

Company Job Listings
(Over 4000)

Email to IBN

Suggestions?

It is better
to not be on
the web than
to be on and
not know why

John Sumser

Reality
is more
complex
than
it seems.
John Gall

It's better to
do a few things
really well than
than to do
a lot of things
badly.
If you can't
make the necessary
commitments of
time and energy
to your
electronic
marketing
efforts
scale back
your plan.
John Sumser

All material in this
email is the
property of IBN
(The Internet
Business Network:
interbiznet.com)
You may download
a copy for personal
use. Redistribution
without permission
is strictly
prohibited.
All material in
this email is
© 1995 - 2000 by IBN

Go Home
OUR HOME

The Electronic Recruiting News is a Free Daily Newsletter For Recruiters, HR Managers, Advertising Agencies and Clasified Advertising Operations

To subscribe or unsubscribe from ERNIE, please use the form on the linked page.

Whose Responsibility Is It?

(February 13, 2001, 2000)

Over the past year, we've been fairly inspired by last year's Chief Talent Officer (CTO) Conference. We've tried to detail the roles, responsibilities and processes of the job. The 2001 Electronic Recruiting Index is, we think, the first place in which the roles and responsibilities are clearly articulated. (Download a copy of the executive summary and order a copy today.)

We've sniped at more than a few HR VPs who claimed that they could not get traction because their CEO wasn't behind them. We occasionally offer a copy of The Prince or Siu's The Craft Of Power. Fundamental changes can be brought about internally but they require aggressive leadership with little sensitivity for personal risk.

Then, of course, there are the leaders who get it.

In the effort to drive change, it must seem like no one could possibly meet our leadership standards. While far from the truth, we do believe that a clear understanding of the real value of Human Capital is a critical component of the new mindset. Solid examples are hard to come by.

Today. we'd like you to take a couple of minutes to read a speech given by Bill Marriott (CEO of Marriott Hotels) last fall. In a small excerpt, Mr. Marriott says:

Some may view the labor shortage as a passing problem, the consequence of a hot economy. But I am convinced the challenge of recruitment and retention of the best talent -- will be with us for at least another 10-15 years.

Boom times come and go. Labor markets expand and contract. But more lasting forces are converging today to permanently elevate the premium on human capital. It is now the central ingredient of economic output. Workers' minds and attitudes are as important to satisfied customers as materials and machines used to be.

And thus recruitment and retention are now indispensable skills across every industry, from hospitality to high-tech.

Although we carry a high-tech bias (it's a part of living in the Bay Area), it wasn't a complete surprise to see a solid leader in the hotel business talking about Human Capital. After all, like software, recruiting, engineering, legal, medical and other knowledge professions, the hotel business is the people who work there. Quality, as a function of customer experience, is directly caused by the people of non-manufacturing or agricultural businesses.

While the VP of HR in Marriott is a particularly lucky person to have this sort of backing, we thought you might find that forwarding a copy of this speech to your front office helps you turn the tide.

We've taken the liberty of archiving a copy of the speech for the years after it leaves the Marriott vaults.

- John Sumser

Workforce has the Recruiting and Staffing information you need.

Search through thousands of archived articles, participate in the forum, print out sample letters and policies and more. All for free.

Come to Workforce today!

Workforce -- HR Trends and Tools for Business Results.

Contacting Us:
Call, fax, write, email. We'd love to talk about your project.

All material on this site is © 1995 - 2000 by IBN: interbiznet.com
(The Internet Business Network), 346 Starling Rd., Mill Valley, CA 94941
415.380.8244
staff@interbiznet.com

To Subscribe or Unsubscribe From the ERNIE...
Enter email:
Enter name:

     FEATURES:

  • Interbiznet Trends (New)