[Monthly Archives] [List Home]

[ernie] The Electronic Recruiting News In Email_010323

IBN: Defining Excellence in Electronic Recruiting
Please Click On Our Sponsors
John Sumser's
Electronic Recruiting News

interbiznet.com

E R N I E
Electronic Recruiting News In Email

Our Rate Card

S P O N S O R S

Click Here!
Click On Our Sponsors
Click On Our Sponsors

Reach The 25,000 Recruiters and HR Managers Who Read This Newsletter Each Week
Click On Our Sponsors

Click On Our Sponsors

Find out more
About IBN
Got a news tip?
Tell us at
news@
interbiznet.com

Our Rate Card

Articles

Presentations

Trends Reports

Archives

Resume
Databases

(Over 60)

Company Job Listings
(Over 4000)

Suggestions?

OUR HOME

The Electronic Recruiting News is a Free Daily Newsletter For Recruiters, HR Managers, Advertising Agencies and Clasified Advertising Operations

To subscribe or unsubscribe from ERNIE, please use the form on the linked page.

David and Goliath

(March 23, 2001) We've developed several powerful "David and Goliath" marketing ideas for companies that want to use Monster's dominant position as leverage. The idea, pioneered by the early HotJobs lawsuits and their more recent job-placement challenge, is that you can use the extraordinary trajectory of Monster's advertising campaigns to promote your own operations. Avis (we try harder) really pioneered the concept in the 60's.

The idea is to poke fun at the giant while avoiding a trampling when it responds. This is the essential story of the little guy against the big one. The media eats this stuff up.

Typically, market leaders have a difficult time laughing at themselves. The David and Goliath strategy attempts to provoke a serious response to a silly gesture, thereby embarrassing the big guy and promoting the little one.

  • Mothers Against All Monsters (MAAM)
    We'd love to arrange for six school buses full of apparently angry mothers. We'd bus them to the TMP offices, the Monster offices and the NASDAQ. They would be equipped with banners and placards reading :"Stop Scaring our Children", "Monsters Should Be Jailed", "Keep The Bogeyman Under The Bed". At each site, the leader would present a petition asking that Monster voluntarily submit to aggressive filtering by Net Nanny and other parental control software. Objective: cause a strong reaction to be covered in the Wall Street Journal.
  • The Anonymous Booth
    Featuring photos of famous serial killers, we'd anonymously position a temporary booth just outside of convention halls throughout the trade show season. The banner would read "Hire These Monsters".
  • The Handout
    Fairly obviously, a screening or assessment company could run a successful gambit by handing out a stack of resumes with a cover sheet reading "Screen Out The Monsters". It would contain biographical sketches of famous criminals.
  • MonsterBusters
    Taking a cue from the famous movie, a team of goo-squirting vandals would terrorize the Monster booth at a show chanting "Who ya gonna call? MonsterBusters" covering the TMP folks with green slime.
  • Dunk A Monster
    The "dunk a celebrity" booths are fairly popular at non-HR trade shows. A "voice your opinion by dunking the monster" booth ought to be a huge success. Given the popular frustration with Monster's services, we'd predict a long line.
We took the time to outline these approaches after seeing a series of "they're picking on us" press releases. It appears that Monster is flexing a small portion of its market muscle with a couple of upstart operations (at least that's what the Press Releases claim). From our perspective, the question ought to be elevated to the level of good street theater.

- John Sumser

   What position can Sendouts.com put your firm in?

      A more competitive one.

     Find out how:

  • Get access to hundreds of thousands of qualified candidates.
  • Manage every step of the placement process.
  • Establish a stronger presence on the web.
   Do it all with one web-based application for under $100 a month.

   Final reason to visit us:
   Get over $500 in savings with our introductory offer package.

Contacting Us:
Call, fax, write, email. We'd love to talk about your project.

All material on this site is © 1995 - 2001 by IBN: interbiznet.com
(The Internet Business Network), 346 Starling Rd., Mill Valley, CA 94941
415.380.8244
staff@interbiznet.com

To Subscribe or Unsubscribe From the ERNIE...
Enter email:
Enter name:

     FEATURES:

  • Interbiznet Trends (New)