Re: length-spec vs. length for characteristics

Subject: Re: length-spec vs. length for characteristics
From: Paul Prescod <papresco@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 11:15:16 -0400
James Clark wrote:

> At 22:19 16/04/97 -0400, Tony Graham wrote:
>
> >Does this mean that only for characteristics with a length-spec value,
> >I can use display-size (also introduced in 12.5.2) to return a
> >length-spec that I can use when setting the value of the
> >characteristic?
>
> Yes.

Is it the case that there is no easy way to ask about the display-size
of some other flow object and work from there (such as the containing
flow object, or the page itself). You must keep track of these values
yourself, correct? How major are the changes to DSSSL going to have to
be to allow us to work online where flow object sizes (e.g. page width)
are not known until runtime?

 Paul Prescod