Performance Characteristics

Subject: Performance Characteristics
From: David Megginson <dmeggins@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 1997 14:59:17 -0400
John Rice writes:

 > I'm considering using Jade to implement a DSSSL spec. as part of a
 > publishing solution for a client but I am wondering about the kind
 > of performace they might reasonably expect in a production environment
 > (win32 fyi).
 >
 > The formatting requirements here are not terribly complex though the
 > documents can be quite large.

For relatively straight-forward requirements, Jade is astoundingly
fast -- I can format a 150-page book on my 75MHZ Pentium notebook
(16MB RAM) in under ten seconds, using either Linux or Win95 -- but
advanced or unusual requirements could slow that down a bit.

The biggest problem for you will probably be memory.  Jade constructs
its entire grove in memory, and if your document is too large you will
end up thrashing around in swap for a while.  I wouldn't be too hard
to write a disk-based groves implementation, but it would run a little
more slowly.

All the best,

David

--