Performance Characteristics

Subject: Performance Characteristics
From: Tony Graham <tgraham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 1997 15:40:29 -0400 (EDT)
John Rice writes:
 > I'm considering using Jade to implement a DSSSL spec. as part of a
 > publishing solution for a client but I am wondering about the kind
 > of performace they might reasonably expect in a production environment
 > (win32 fyi).
 >
 > The formatting requirements here are not terribly complex though the
 > documents can be quite large.

The short answer is that Jade is fast, but your performance is going
to depend more upon your processor speed, your available memory, the
complexity of your stylesheet, and the size of your documents than
upon the results anyone else gets using Jade; and since the latest
version of Jade came out today, whatever performance heuristics anyone
had yesterday have changed ever so slightly today.

Since you know the DTD, the formatting requirements, and the size of
the documents and you may well know the type of machine upon Jade
would run, why don't you get the publicly-available stylesheet that
most closely matches your requirements, pump up a sample document
until it matches your target size, and see what results you get
running Jade on a sample machine.

Regards,

Tony Graham
Tony Graham, Consultant
Mulberry Technologies, Inc.                         Phone: 301-231-6931
6010 Executive Blvd., Suite 608                     Fax:   301-231-6935
Rockville, MD USA 20852                e-mail: tgraham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx