Side-effect freedom (Re: When transformation language)

Subject: Side-effect freedom (Re: When transformation language)
From: Vivek Agrawala <vivek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 16:24:14 -0400
Paul Prescod wrote:

> I would be curious if people who are skilled in the transformation language
> (perhaps in thought experiments :) ), could comment on the types of jobs
> that would be substantially easier with it than with Jade's style language
> extensions for SGML transformations. One thing I've noticed is that the
> transformation language seems to work on arbitrary groves and not just SGML
> document groves. Is that right?. What else differentiates it? Thanks for
> any information.

 Does anyone know if the transformation language is also side-effect
 free?  If so, why?

 For the style language, one major reason mentioned here was the need
 to simplify implementation of browser/editor type applications. But
 that may not be relevant for the transformation language.

 Also, could someone point me to a good discussion of the pros & cons of
 freedom from side-effects?  I am still struggling with problem of
writing
 code without maintaining state.

-- Vivek Agrawala, Ph.D.
Siemens Corporate Research, Inc.	email: vivek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx