Re: XS: needed features?

Subject: Re: XS: needed features?
From: James Clark <jjc@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 21:34:35 +0700
At 15:06 23/05/97 +0100, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> > It means you're using the font metrics of Times-Roman to determine where to
> > place the underscore.  I believe both TrueType and AFM files have a metric
> > for the recommended position for an underscore.
>eh? what if i want to underscore
>
> hello <font name=Helvetica>here</font> and there?
>
>are you suggesting i switch position of underscore half way?

No.  The font applicable to the score flow object is what controls the
position of the underscore for the entire contents of the flow object.

>i would
>have assumed the formatter would work this out - unless i wanted to
>underline Times text with Helvetica underscore position, which would
>be  a marginally weird thing to do....

It's exactly because you may need to underscore text in multiple fonts (or
inline flow objects with no font at all) that you need the font
characteristics to be applicable to score.  Otherwise, if you're
underscoring text in multiple fonts, how is the formatter supposed to know
which font it should use to control the position of the underscore?

James