Re: XS: Ports --> math

Subject: Re: XS: Ports --> math
From: Paul Prescod <papresco@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 09:56:52 -0400
Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> dangerous attitude. you could apply it to tables as well, perhaps.
> i really think its not safe to imply `we have sorted math;
> we fully understand the structures, and we can put all their problems
> into specialized addons which support The One True Math DTD' - it is
> after quite contrary to the whole point of XML!

It may be dangerous, but I wouldn't mind applying the same logic to
tables. Yes, I think that Procrustean is the order of the day.
XML/X-Link/XS is very much about solving 90% of the world's
documentation problems. Full SGML/HyTime/DSSSL is meant to handle the
other 10%. I mean XML is down to a roughly 30 page spec! And XML's
HyTime equivalent is even shorter. We must apply the same discipline to
DSSSL.

I'm not going to say that I am against generic math or generic
tables, but merely point out that the two arguments: "It's hard"
and "It's not needed by 90% of the population" are both valid ones
that have been used many times in the XML discussion. The
counter argument is typically "But it is still important because
..."

 Paul Prescod