Re: SGML to HTML with jade?

Subject: Re: SGML to HTML with jade?
From: Paul Prescod <papresco@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 10:24:31 -0400
Mark Burton wrote:
> Next question! Is there any way that I can pass a string into Jade from the
> command line to initialise the %output-basename% variable so that the output
> can be directed to different files without having to edit the style sheet?

No, but this is a useful feature that I would use too.

> Perhaps read-entity can be used here to provide a similar effect?

Yes. That's one way.

The way I typically do it is to have "driver" .dsl files that just set
some variables and then call the "real" .dsl file. This is also
convenient because Jade looks for a .dsl file with the same filename as
the .sgm file.

So if the SGML file is gn.sgm, I make gn.dsl that is only a few lines
long but calls real-stylesheet.dsl. real-stylesheet.dsl can be a
standalone DSSSL stylesheet connected via the special modularity
features of a standard text entity with a bunch of declarations.

 Paul Prescod