Re: More thoughts on multiple style specifications (was Re: SGML to HTML with jade?)

Subject: Re: More thoughts on multiple style specifications (was Re: SGML to HTML with jade?)
From: Norbert Mikula <nmikula@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 17:35:55 +0200 (MET DST)
On Wed, 25 Jun 1997, Norman Walsh wrote:

> Comments?  Please.

My idea to use multiple stylespecs was  :

a.) re-use

You have a core module with the more general specifications,
and then you two or more specific ones. For instance

core : HTML
specific a : HTML for printout
specific b : HTML for online display

Furthermore, if you look for instance at Jon Bosak HTML stylesheet,
you could take the different parameters for
visual appearance and create a seperate module
for the major different settings. This you could
then present to the user via a menu.

b.) maintainabiltity

You could have certain core functions/modules outside
the DTD specific stylespecs. This core module you could
include via an external-spec. reference

c.) reduce network load

If I refer to a base module via external-spec. reference,
the application might be able to keep in the cache
and wouldn't need to reload and reparse the spec.

Best regards,
Norbert H. Mikula