Re: API to formatters and grove engines

Subject: Re: API to formatters and grove engines
From: "James Clark" <jjc@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 1997 12:11:28 +0700
> Consider now:
>         - I want to have two different outputs of a specific element (RTF
> and a special text format for the sentence to be simultaneously read by a
> synthesised voice).
>         - this element is located at the bottom of a 10MB file.

Let me make sure I've understood the sort of thing you are trying to do.

You've got a large SGML document that contains a large number of ARTICLE
(say) elements.  You are writing an application that provides a GUI
interface to the user to select which ARTICLE in the SGML document they are
interested in.  You then want to be able to present that article in two
ways: visually, by generating RTF and displaying/printing that, and aurally
by generating a special text format that is input to a speech synthesizer.
The user may want to select multiple articles in a single session.  Is this
right?

James