Re: API to formatters and grove engines

Subject: Re: API to formatters and grove engines
From: "James Clark" <jjc@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 1997 11:15:23 +0700
> The DSSSL specification seems to be designed to process
> full documents, not nodes. I don't know if Jade can be easily changed to
> do so or if the programmer would have to build up a large "environment"
> to pretend that other nodes (for instance parents) had already been
> processed.

Jade doesn't have an interface to format a subtree of a document, but it's
something that I think would be useful (particularily in conjunction with
an implementation of the grove interface for a database), and I don't think
it would be very hard to add.

> Maybe your advance
> request will encourage James to design Jade's transformation language
> support (whenever it comes about...) with a nice OLE interface that can
> work on nodes and subtrees.

I have no plans to implement the DSSSL transformation language.

James