Re: New Jade test release available

Subject: Re: New Jade test release available
From: "W. Eliot Kimber" <eliot@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 1997 10:14:47 -0500
At 03:38 PM 8/27/97 +0200, Roland Orre wrote:
>We are using an SGML database that requires the doctype files to be tagged
too.
>Like:
><!DOCTYPE course [
>
><!ELEMENT course       - - (coursecode, coursedata, course-schedule,
coordinator
>s, description, footnote?) >

The DOCTYPE declaration must be part of the document entity and cannot
therefore be repeated in any external declaration sets (what I assume you
mean by "doctype files".

Tools that require DOCTYPE declarations in external subsets are simply
treating the subset as a complete document.  You can get around this by
creating a shell file that has the doctype declaration and uses the real
declarations as an external subset (this is a convenient trick for
ADEPT*Editor, for example):

<!-- Shell file to support tools that need a DOCTYPE declaration. -->
<!DOCTYPE COURSE SYSTEM "course.dtd">
<!-- End of shell file. -->

Cheers,

E.
--
<Address HyTime=bibloc>
W. Eliot Kimber, Senior Consulting SGML Engineer