Re: Outputting arbitrary strings from Jade

Subject: Re: Outputting arbitrary strings from Jade
From: Chris Maden <crism@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 15:23:05 -0400
[David Megginson]
> The problem with something like this is that you will have to do some
> very expensive string processing to escape any characters that have
> special meanings in your target language.

This is true.  If the query-construction-rule were supported, I could
just grab special characters as they went by, and generate different
character flow objects.  Unfortunately, it's not right now (which is
also a problem for handling PIs).  So I'm going to have to examine the
data of every element.

I think this will work pretty well, though, since it's a one-time
conversion.[*]  I'm not concerned about the speed so much as the
power, and Jade is pretty powerful.

-Chris

[*] For some books, the production phase is done in SGML.  But when
the books are sent back to the authors, we like to return them to the
author's desired format, since they're sometimes skittish about
working directly in SGML.