XSL Question

Subject: XSL Question
From: "Jeremie Miller" <jeremie@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 03:09:23 -0600
I've just started writing a simple JavaScript based XSL
arser( http://www.jeremie.com/xparse/xsl/ ), and only have one question so
far.  It seems like it would be so much easier to read, write, process, and
understand basic XSL rules if there was a clear definition between the
pattern and the action, like:

<rule>
    <pattern>
        <target-element type="special"/>
    </pattern>
    <action>
        <DIV font-weight="bold">
            <children/>
        </DIV>
    </action>
</rule>

In learning XSL from scratch, understanding the difference, or more,
understanding what it means, was my first stumbling block.  And in writing
the XSL parser, it would make things just a little simpler.  As I understand
it, the pattern and the action are clearly completely separate parts of the
rule, so why are all of their elements lumped together as children of the
rule?

I'm aware that XSL is only a proposal, and maybe not ready for discussion
like this since it is due to change, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Thanks,

Jeremie Miller
jer@xxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.jeremie.com/