Re: Formatting mathematics (in The DSSSList Digest V1 #263)

Subject: Re: Formatting mathematics (in The DSSSList Digest V1 #263)
From: s.rahtz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Sebastian Rahtz)
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 1998 21:35:52 +0000
 > I've used LaTeX2HTML for some things, and have been impressed by its
 > capabilities.  My only reservation is about the quality of equations
 > when rendered as graphics (and the sheer number of files that result).
 > Some of the math is unreadable at its original size, and really ugly
 > when enlarged.
both the latex2html people, and the tex4ht author (tex4ht is another
latex2html converter which I consider to be based  on sounder
principles than latex2html, since it used TeX itself), are working
towards/interested in converting math to MathML. i guess you can
expect some sort of XMLish output from these beasts relatively soon.

 > Come to think of it, one thing I did not try is installing PS versions
 > of TeX's CM fonts.  I'd expect these to scale better.  If someone can
 > verify this, perhaps I'll give it another try.
it depends on how TeX is set up, and how latex2html works (I cant
recall offhand). if it makes bitmaps and then scales them,
disaster. if it allows Metafont to PostScript to render the bitmap at
the right size, you'd be unlikely to see any difference. once its in
that .gif file, its a bitmap, and unscaleable. no free lunch there

sebastian