Selecting alternate children to process?

Subject: Selecting alternate children to process?
From: MARK.WROTH@xxxxxxxxxxx (WROTH, MARK B)
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 1998 07:18:12 -0800
May I beg the list's indulgence to ask another ignorant beginner
question?

How do I select an alternative set of children to process?  In essence,
when processing a particular
element (in a cross-reference mode, if that's significant), I want to
process a <key> child if it's present,
and if it's not to construct a key from <author> and <year> children. So
my basic construction should (I think) look something like:

(if (matching-child? "KEY")
	(process-matching-children "KEY")
	(make sequence
		(process-matching-children "AUTHOR")
		(process-matching-children "YEAR")
	)
)

where I want the (process-matching-children "KEY") part to work if the
optional <KEY> child is present, and the (make sequence ....) part to
work if it's not.

As a "teach 'em how to fish" follow up, where in the documentation
should I be looking to find the answer to this myself?

Thanks,