Re: Time for Jade to process SUBDOCs

Subject: Re: Time for Jade to process SUBDOCs
From: Chuck Darney <cdarney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 08:38:59 -0500

"W. Eliot Kimber" wrote:

> At 02:45 PM 11/17/98 -0500, Chuck Darney wrote:
> >I'm now using Jade to process a document containing many SUBDOCs.  The
> >processing now takes from 4 to 6 times as long (8 minutes instead of
> >1.5).  I assumed there would be some overhead involved, but wasn't
> >expecting this.  Are there any suggestions for reducing processing time?
>
> The time most likely reflects that the data has to be parsed twice: once to
> create a single instance and once to process that instance. Coupled with
> the writing of the single instance, this doubles or triples the I/O time,
> which is often the most time-consuming part of the process.  Also, as each
> subdoc presumably has its own DOCTYPE declaration, you're parsing the DTD
> declarations once for each subdoc.  If the DTD is especially large (e.g.,
> full Docbook), this could add significant processing time.
>
> One way to avoid the DTD parsing overhead is to not use DTDs for the
> subdocs. Jade is happy with this.  You can also trim down the DTD used for
> the subdocs to just those declarations it actually needs (sometimes this
> doesn't help much because of the large numbers of leaf-level elements in
> some DTDs, where you can't predict which subset a given document will need).

While not nearly as large as Docbook, the DTD is large enough to create
the overhead I'm faced with.  This is particularly true when I'm
processing a document with 50 to 100 subdocs.  If I don't process
SUBDOCs with a DTD, how do I avoid all of the errors about undefined
elements when the SUBDOC is parsed?  Is there a way to tell Jade not to
parse the SUBDOC?

...Chuck