Transformation needs [was Re: returning a nodelist]

Subject: Transformation needs [was Re: returning a nodelist]
From: Norman Walsh <ndw@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 08:03:09 -0500
| I can see places where things could be simpler by doing some
| transformation passes over the data first, then going back and styling
| the result of that.

I'd like that, too.  I'd love to transform DocBook input that uses blocks
inside paras into DocBook that doesn't:

  <para>xxx<orderedlist>...</orderedlist>yyy</para>

would become

  <para>xxx</para><orderedlist>...</orderedlist><para>yyy</para>

This would make the HTML that results from the DocBook to HTML
transformation "legal" HTML in more cases.

SMOP, I suppose, to fix up the input with a transformation using current
Jade techniques or the HTML afterward.

The other thing that I need, and I'm beginning to feel pretty
desperate about it actually, is easier access to PIs.  James, do
you have any comment on what the implementation effort would be
to support PIs in Jade?  By support, I mean have a construction
rule (or any function, honestly) fire automatically when one is
encountered.
                                        Cheers,
                                          norm
--