Re: returning a nodelist

Subject: Re: returning a nodelist
From: Brandon Ibach <bibach@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 11:52:12 -0600 (CST)
James Clark said:

> Brandon Ibach wrote:
>
> > Namely, I feel there is a desperate need for a good quality
> > implementation of the DSSSL Transformation Language
>
> Why?  Have you tried writing transformations using the DSSSL
> transformation language?  (I find it really hard.) What can't you do
> with the approach Jade takes?

   Okay, maybe not "desperate"... :)  I really do like what you did
with the transformation backend.  However, as I develop style sheets,
I can see places where things could be simpler by doing some
transformation passes over the data first, then going back and styling
the result of that.
   I'll admit, too, that the transformation language seems horribly
complicated.  I had to read it about a half dozen times before I even
felt that I had a basic grasp on it.  On the other hand, I can see how
powerful it is, and would *really* like to try my hand at writing some
transformation specs.
   On that note, does anyone know what ever became of Henry Thompson's
second version of his DSSSL Syntax Checker?  He notes on his web page
that this version was to include the full query language and the
transformation language.

-Brandon :)