RE: Underscores part II

Subject: RE: Underscores part II
From: "Frank A. Christoph" <christo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 18:40:38 +0900
>At the risk of not being taken seriously anymore on this list, I must
>confess I'm finding (parts of) DSSSL rather difficult. I'm wondering if it
>has to do with my background, which is in humanities. (I'm currently working
>as a tech writer at a software company). I've been working with SGML for
>some time and am comfortable with it, but I have *absolutely no* programming
>experience.
>
>I'm wondering if most DSSSL users have a programming background? Or does it
>just take some time to learn DSSSL? I'm used to learning things within a
>couple of days, but this is taking me weeks already.

DSSSL stylesheets are written using a full-fledged programming language derived from Scheme, so if you have managed to write a non-trivial stylesheet without the benefit of some programming experience, you deserve a pat on the back.  And, yes, I expect most people on this list have a programming background, although most are more familiar with conventional, imperative languages like C than with functional, "declarative" (I don't think Scheme is very declarative) languages like Scheme.

--FC

I$??Ëb?ú?Ö«r¯zm§ÿðÃ	®?·«¯+^r(?÷l²ÉvË,?+-