Re: Entity files for Jade/DocBook?

Subject: Re: Entity files for Jade/DocBook?
From: Tony Graham <tgraham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1999 15:03:27 -0500 (EST)
At 4 Jan 1999 08:17 -0800, Wroth, Mark wrote:
 > 	I have now come to believe that there is no way to specify an
 > SGML entity which will process through Jade to the RTF backend and
 > result in a glyph not in the "standard" font (e.g. a lowercase alpha,
 > &agr; or &alpha;).  I also don't believe it's a SGML/DSSSL/JADE problem
 > -- I think the limitation is in the RTF/MS Word end of things.

I assume you're using entity declarations of the form:

<!ENTITY agr "&#945;" >

(where 945 is the decimal representation of the hexadecimal number
3B1, which is the Unicode character number for GREEK SMALL LETTER
ALPHA).

In Windows 95, if you install "Multilingual Support", you can get
Greek, Cyrillic, and Central European versions of the "standard" fonts
-- Arial, Courier New, and Times New Roman.  If you're using those
fonts, then you may be able to get additional characters.

Another alternative is to use a "Unicode" font such as Bitstream's
Cyberbit (or maybe one of the fonts that you can download from
Microsoft's web site) that has characters for the Unicode character
numbers that you are using.

Regards,

Tony Graham
Tony Graham                            mailto:tgraham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
17 West Jefferson Street                    Direct Phone: 301/315-9632