Re: Access to RE/RS separated records within an element?

Subject: Re: Access to RE/RS separated records within an element?
From: "Mitch C. Amiano" <amiamc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 09:47:23 -0500
If you want to encode that structural information into the DSSSL,
you could write a function which would split the (data) on the
record-ends, build a list of the resulting strings, and then
return the ones you are interested in. The mulberry site
(http://www.mulberrytech.com/dsssl) would be very helpful to you, I'm sure.

If you have control over the DTD applied to your input, you could
map those records to new element types, perhaps using SHORTREF,
then use element matching rules to drive the output. (SHORTREF
is an SGML feature, not DSSSL.)

Grzegorz Staniak wrote:

> Sorry to pester you all with beginners' questions, but I'm sort of
> in a  hurry, and reading the DSSSL spec will take me a couple
> weeks, I'm afraid. Is there an elegant way to access lines
> separated by SGML RE/RS within an element? So that, given
> an element like the following in the document istance:
>
> <ANELEMENT>
> Line1
> Line2
> Line3
>
> Line5 following empty line4
> </ANELEMENT>
>
> I could assign a choice of lines (e.g. only lines 4, 1 and 5) to
> variables? Skimming over the spec I haven't noticed anything
> that would help me.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> --
> Grzegorz Staniak
> <gstaniak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

--   SGML (es JEE em el) n.: the pavement of the Information Superhighway   --
Mitch C. Amiano                                         amiamc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Technical Staff Member  Advanced Design Process Group  Alcatel Network Systems
Opinions expressed are my own and are not a representation of Alcatel